For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, October 1, 2016

a gimp wrapped card and other titivations





The next artist book in progress. I began this one with the intention of making a book which would be smaller than this one and this one.....less complicated, less crammed...ha.....failed. It may be smaller in terms of page sizes but so far it is equally as crammed. What can I say, I just can't help myself. 
If you have ever put something like this together you will know how unexpectedly long it takes. You wouldn't be surprised at the hours which go in to each one. Choose a page, choose a sample, said chosen sample inspires another sample which you then need to create. Samples on pages create ideas for tags, make tags, pages inspire ideas for extra touches...a thread wrap, a gimp wrap, a tiny collage and before you know it you are building an encyclopaedia. (or so you would think). I could honestly lose myself in this artist book production line. It's like dreaming the happiest of dreams about scraps, about snippets of paper, about buttons and beads and stitch. If I were stranded on a desert island I would hope to have all my worldly goods with me and I would stay there happily creating little books for the rest of my days!
There is a short, dull (blame the cloud which rolled in at the wrong moment) video about this little thing here.



No comments: